Natural Selection and Evolution
Natural selection acts on the individual ... Populations evolve.
Misconceptions About Evolution
Website Link - Berkeley's Evolution: Misconceptions about Evolution and the Mechanisms of Evolution
* Evolution is a theory about the origin of life
* Evolution is like a climb up a ladder of progress; organisms are always getting better
* Evolution means that life changed ‘by chance’
* Natural selection involves organisms ‘trying’ to adapt
* Natural selection gives organisms what they ‘need’
* Evolution is just a theory
* Evolution is a theory in crisis and is collapsing as scientists lose confidence in it
* Gaps in the fossil record disprove evolution.
* Evolutionary theory is incomplete and is currently unable to give a total explanation of life
* The theory of evolution is flawed, but scientists won’t admit it
* Evolution is not science because it is not observable or testable
* Most biologists have rejected ‘Darwinism’ (i.e., no longer really agree with the ideas put forth by Darwin and Wallace)